How to Apply:
Please submit your CV/resume and a short cover letter sharing more about yourself, your experience and why you are inspired to work with Numida to email@example.com with subject line: CFO Role.
Numida uses proprietary credit models and tech-enabled underwriting processes to provide unsecured working capital loans to African micro and small businesses (“MSBs”). Instead of borrowing from informal lenders or family, business owners download the Numida app, apply in minutes, and receive capital within a day. There’s 20 million of these businesses in Africa representing a $5 billion market opportunity and traditional banks and microfinance institutions are failing to support these businesses, who are significant contributors to economic growth and prosperity across the African continent. We have figured out how to score and disburse unsecured loans to cash-based businesses that have no digital transaction history, with excellent collection rates. Since 2021 we've provided $21 million in working capital to 30,000 businesses in East Africa.
We are Uganda’s first YC-backed startup and are also backed by world class investors such as Serena Ventures, MFS Africa, Breega, and 4Di Capital. Find out more at https://numida.com.
Traditionally overlooked and underserved MSBs in emerging markets deserve to have great tech built to serve their needs. Numida is the first and largest mobile platform in Africa focused on offering convenient, accessible, and appropriate financial services specifically to African MSBs. With the wealth of data collected through our platform, we are well positioned to connect business owners to the financial and non-financial services they need in order to grow their business, whether it be credit, savings, insurance, payments, logistics, customer acquisition, or financial & HR management. Due to our deep knowledge of our customers, Numida is becoming renowned for building technology that
MSBs love. Within 10 years, we anticipate enabling at least 1 million small business owners on the continent to achieve their dreams.
We are looking for an experienced leader at the level of CFO who will help to lead Numida’s growth by establishing processes and systems that produce timely and accurate financial information that he or she will leverage to perform financial analyses that influence decision-making and ultimately drive measurable value. The CFO will be a member of the Senior Leadership Team and have dual reporting to the CEO and to Board of Directors. The role combines operations (managing accounting and financial control functions) and strategy (working with the Senior Leadership Team to establish a financial strategy for the profitable, long-term growth of the business including financing plans). The role is reserved for someone who has 7+ years of experience in accounting, credit management and finance, including leadership and management experience in a financial institution.
Strategy and Planning
- Identify and execute financial analyses to identify opportunities to optimize business performance, to create value, and to help shape the strategic direction of the company
- Develop financial models to evaluate specific business initiatives
- Work with various Numida teams to refine financial models and understand the drivers of key assumptions
- Establish procedures for budget and forecast preparation, and prepare the annual budget in consultation with the CEO/COO/CTO
- Manage the cash flow and prepare cash flow forecasts
- Advise the company on the optimal capital structure, balancing equity and debt and support the company in accessing the capital needed to grow
- Support future fundraising activities and manage existing shareholder and debt provider reporting requirements, including the management of financial covenant monitoring and reporting
Accounting, Reporting, and Operations
- Develop and maintain timely and accurate financial statements and reports in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) and implement monthly variance reporting against budget
- Develop and maintain systems for cash management, accounts payable, accounts receivable, credit control, and petty cash
- Manage and build a dynamic and sound Finance and Treasury team
- Oversee the design and implementation of processes and reports that provide business managers with timely financial data to make decisions and monitor performance
- Fully own the continuous development and maintenance of the financial reports generated by Numida’s in-house loan management software to ensure the accurate accounting treatment of all financial transactions in the lending portfolio
- Oversee all payroll functions to ensure timely and accurate processing
- Ensure that all statutory requirements of the organization are met including income tax reporting and withholding payments
- Develop, implement, and ensure compliance with internal financial and accounting policies and procedures to ensure the accuracy, integrity, and security of all financial information
- Manage financial reporting to the Board of Directors
- Prepare all supporting information for the annual audit and liaise with the external auditors
- Lead the financial due diligence process with prospective investors
- Build Numida’s financial management systems and processes for pan-African operations
- Ensure that sound risk management models and measurement methodologies of risk reporting and controls are in place for the quantification and evaluation of risks
- Own the development of an Enterprise Risk Management framework and the Risk Appetite Statement
- Continuously monitor risk-taking activities and aggregate risk exposures to ensure they are in line with the organization’s financial position and plan
Skills & Qualifications
- University degree in Accounting, Commerce, or Business Management/Administration
- CPA, ACCA, CFA or MBA designation is strongly preferred
- Experience in a credit institution, including a strong understanding of loan accounting
- 7+ years of experience of progressive responsibility in accounting and finance, with at least 2 years of management experience (experience in a FinTech an asset)
- Knowledge and background in GAAP, including the presentation of GAAP-based financial reports such as IFRS
- Strong strategic finance skill set evidenced by the ability to analyze business models, and forecast financing needs
- Strong financial modeling, budgeting, valuation, financial analysis experience
- Experience with the consolidation of multiple foreign entities, with multi-currency accounting and complex intercompany transactions. Familiarity with transfer pricing an asset.
- Familiarity with foreign exchange risks and mitigants (for example hedging products)
- Experience in closing Series A+ funding rounds and institutional debt management
Who You Are
- A believer that small business growth in Africa will drive community development and wide-scale poverty reduction
- A self-driven, results-oriented high achiever ready to take on a lot of responsibility and ownership to drive Numida’s growth
- A professional with unwavering integrity, high ethical standards, and a strong sense of accountability A decisive leader and problem solver who efficiently gathers information and assesses situations
- with a systems approach to select or recommend the best course of action
- An organized planner who excels at priority setting, goal setting, devising and executing action plans, and performing ex-post evaluations of both process and results
- A great communicator who speaks and writes in a clear, thorough and timely manner using effective communication tools and techniques
- A team player who is not afraid to ask for help when needed and relies on feedback to rapidly improve
How We’ll Reward You
This is a full-time, high-growth role in a fast-growing East African technology start-up. We are an unconventional business, and our workplace is inspiring with a lot of opportunities for personal growth and fun. You will receive a competitive salary and benefits commensurate with experience, and have the opportunity to work with a dynamic and diverse team based in Kampala, Nairobi, Montreal/Toronto/Vancouver, and San Francisco. Employee share options are also available for this position, giving you ownership in Numida’s overall success.